Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Twilight Hour




I wore this outfit for my finals last semester. It's hard to tell in the thick twilight blue, but my lips were as red as my dress. Worn together, the effect was vivid, almost shocking in its brightness, and illicited many comments. My inner streak of mischievous glee delighted in the visual uproar it produced. I was never in the tangled webs of drama in high school, but in some ways, I do have a strong sense of flair that errs towards a dramatic aesthetic. Perhaps you think I am exaggerating at its results, and maybe I am unintentionally, but try wearing a red dress with red lipstick for a day, and see what you get.

The beaded cat-eye necklace I am wearing was something I put together from another necklace and an antique store find. There were a bunch of large marble-like glass stones with tiny embroidered beads around the edges, and this one was the coolest, with its golden eye, blue fringe, and slit pupil. It wasn't meant to be a necklace, but it did have a small loop that I attached to a necklace cord. I love wearing it for the drama and the sheer strangeness of it - that sense of the dramatic coming into play I guess. I paired it with some beaded earrings from World Market because the colors matched.

I wish I had taken pictures in earlier light, but had to do what I could with what I had. I do love the rich blue of the twilight hour; it is my favorite color yet. When the sun falls and the eastern horizon sinks towards black indigo, the sky turns a luminous saturated blue like the clear clarion call of a bell echoing through the evening as it pulls the whole world towards night. I have a very clear picture in my mind of what my favorite color is supposed to be, but when someone asks, I usually just say "blue", as the real shade is attached to a certain time and wondrous effect, but that can be too difficult to describe.

As for the dress, it is pretty simple, almost too simple for my usually complicated tastes, but I fell in love with the bell-like sleeves and rich hue of red. I hope I will find another chance to wear it and not tire of it quickly. I will have to make myself wear it again, maybe to work, in an effort to get the most for my money. Serves me right though, I know better then to get something I don't like, and although I do want to wear it again, I'm just trying to decide how useful it will be in the gamut of my wardrobe.







Dress - thrifted
Necklace - made
Earrings - World Market
Boots - DSW
Coat - gift





<3 The Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment