Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Butterflies and Birds


 I am a thrift store junkie. I admit it. It makes me feel like a pirate searching the high seas for treasure, sifting through racks of clothes for gold. I also like shiny things - that's why I named this blog after magpies, as they have a habit of collecting pretty things that catch my eye (although my favorite animals are dragons - who do the same thing!). Anyways, before I ramble on any longer, this outfit is made up almost exclusively of thrift store finds. The skirt, blue shirt, and short green cardigan worn as an undershirt are all from thrift stores, while my socks are from Target and my boots, an old buy from Macy's for a really good deal. I wore this outfit to school, and felt like a living rainbow.

I wanted to build an outfit around the skirt, which has this really great print made up of brightly colored butterflies and tropical-looking birds. It also has a rich orange background that I love. It took me a couple attempts to get the outfit right, but as soon as I saw the blue shirt with its colorful leaf/petal pattern hanging in a corner of my closet, I knew it would work. I added the green cardigan underneath for an extra edge of color, as I really wanted to layer bright colors in a subtle way, without looking too gaudy or clashing. It was pretty much the best color experiment ever.

Also, I had gold butterfly earrings to match - and light blue eyeliner! Might as well go all the way, no?





Gold rings and bright blue nails? Definitely a must.

I've had these boots for about 2 years now, but it feels like forever, because I wear them ALL THE TIME. 


These photos were really fun to take as I dragged a friend on an adventure through some park.

Just look at that water-frosted grass!!

I just loved this little cloud tuft. It was so smoky and cute. And it totally looks like a dragon.






 I too, am amazed at that face. 




 

 These berries were perfect.
 





<3 The Magpie

No comments:

Post a Comment